In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 5 November 2011

Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story (1988)

I had wanted to see this movie for so long, yet it never occurred to me until now to try and track it down online. Todd Haynes's (Safe, Far From Heaven) infamous debut feature about the tragic life of Karen Carpenter was shot with Barbie dolls in order to dramatize her struggle with anorexia. It was rarely seen outside of film festivals due to the film getting hit with a copyright infringement suit, which is why the version I saw was so gritty and badly transferred. Still, it's a lovely film in its own right, and I'm not being ironic in the least when I say that I love The Carpenters and this "documentary" really moved me.

4 Ex-Lax's out of 5

1 comment:

cuckoo said...

I've never heard of this but it sounds interesting.

Will seek it out.