In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 7 November 2011

Mystery Team (2009)


Mystery Team, I want to grab you by the shoulders and shake you. You should be that movie that I bug everyone I know to watch. You have a cast full of hilarious actors. You have a terrific premise. You have lines I want to quote over and over again. But every time I watch you, something falls a little short.

I want Mystery Team to feel like it was made by Edgar Wright, but it feels more like an SNL movie. It's great in short bursts, but is wildly uneven on a whole. It's so close to being great that sometimes it's almost painful to watch. As long as you can appreciate it for what it is rather than what it could have been, it's a pretty entertaining little film.

3 long nights of cocaine out of 5

2 comments:

budarc said...

Ah, yes. I remember seeing this one.

I recall it had some moments of inspired hilarity, but some reason or another it fell a little flat.

I think I'd give it a 2.5 from memory.

cuckoo said...

I remember seeing trailers from this one...on STS I believe.
Never heard of it again.
I really like the honesty in this review though.

There's a few films I feel exactly the same way about.