In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 24 November 2011

The Muppets (2011)

Jason Segel co-writes and stars in this loving tribute to the Jim Henson-era of Muppets. At once self-aware and self-referential, it recognizes and acknowledges the fact that the Muppets' popularity has declined in recent years and attempts to restore it to its former glory (the photos of Henson abound are a nice touch). Basically follows the plot of the first movie in which Kermit has to round up the entire gang in order to throw one last show to save the old Muppet theatre. This is of course done very tongue-in-cheek, with plenty of cameos, sight gags and in-jokes. I enjoyed it for all it was worth; it actually lived up to the Muppet name, which is pretty much all you need to know.

Note: This movie was directed by James Bobin and features songs written by Bret McKenzie so it has a very Flight of the Conchords-esque feel to it.

4 Mahna Mahnas out of 5

3 comments:

cuckoo said...

I'm so happy you enjoyed this and Hugo.

I can't wait to see them sometime this week.

Marceline said...

I too am really glad you liked this. I'd be a little heartbroken if it was a dud. Looking forward to seeing it whenever I can.

cuckoo said...

Watched it again this weekend with my 2 year old niece.

What a joy to see her love the Muppets so much.

Calling out all the names as they appeared on screen....

...she even called out Sheldon's name which was a little odd but humorous I suppose.