In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 6 November 2011

Conan the Barbarian (2011)

I'm not the biggest fan of the original film, but I know my way around the sword-and-sorcery epics of the 1980s. This isn't one of them. It feels way too damn polished and glossy for such a brutal tale, which makes it recall more the likes of the new Clash of the Titans, Prince of Persia and The Scorpion King...which were all pretty "eh." In all honesty, I found the earlier scenes of young Conan the most thrilling; older Conan is too much of a pretty boy and the female lead felt equally too PC and "safe."

1 emergency Cesarian out of 5

1 comment:

Dr Faustus said...

I'm a fan of the original Conan. I barely got through the trailer of this one which is a shame as I was initially excited about it.

(I would defend The Scorpion King but I really can't; I know it's terrible but I love it. It's an ugly friend that never pretends to be anything else. I'm going to Nut it someday.)