In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 4 November 2011

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)

Kevin Conroy is the quintessential Batman; of course you can argue otherwise, but I'll cover my ears and know you're wrong.
Everything about Mask of the Phantasm is perfect. The voice work, the music, the dramatic noir lighting and the stylistic art deco designs help give the story a real identity. Bruce isn't just the angry orphan here, he's the flawed dark avenger aware of why he does what he does but finds reasons to justify it. I can relate to that, I'm sure we all can (except for the dressing in tights part). The best Batman film ever made? I think so.

5 falling angels out of 5

4 comments:

cuckoo said...

You didn't even mention Shirley Walker's score.

The best Batman music EVER written.

5 Abe Vigodas out of 5.

Dr Faustus said...

Yea, I did, second paragraph. :) It is an amazingly good fit to the visuals.
I've seen the film so many times I could have written a review in my sleep but it gave me a reason to watch it yet again.

BLACKTR0N said...

I give it 5 actions figures that spoil the ending out of 5.

Dr Faustus said...

I didn't know about the action figures thing.