In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 26 October 2011

THE RING [2002]

Hate it for being the film that started the whole Hollywood remakes Asian horror films craze. However it can't be denied that director Gore Verbinski did his damndest to make it a worthy remake and succeeds with flying colors. Unfortunately he was the last one to make it worthwhile.
With it's odd color wash of blues and greens, plenty of breathing photography, haunting music courtesy of Hans Zimmer and chills that bury themselves deeply below the skin, The Ring is near perfect.
Sprinkling in some Hitchcock-esque camera work, with Naomi Watts cast in the lead role to add to that Hitchcock like vibe, Verbinski crafts a cold yet emotional journey considerably different from it's source material in tones and color.
As much as I like Ringu, it's The Ring that is my personal favorite of the franchise. A Top 10 inductee for my all time favorite horror films.

4 Chris Coopers? out of 5

2 comments:

Marceline said...

If I could combine The Ring and Ringu I think it would be the world's most perfect horror movie. I think Sadako is much more frightening than Samara, but The Ring is more atmospheric and has the better ending.

I slept only during the day for a good week after I first watched that. Love it when a movie scares me like that.

cuckoo said...

Agreed on the Samara/Sadako thing.

Movie haunted me for a good while after seeing it to.

I hate scary little kids, dead things in the water, bizarre black and white images and wet hair....

...this thing had it all. :laugh:

Wiggins central.