In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 24 October 2011

Christine (1983)

Counting down the best Stephen King adaptations: Carrie, The Shining, The Dead Zone, Misery, Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption…and the three that I’ll be reviewing tonight (I originally planned to watch all of these, but time marches on…)

Geeky Arnie Cunningham is driven towards a used 1958 Plymouth Fury…and she’s a cruel, vindictive bitch. Their bond becomes further cemented as he becomes darker, more confident and popular with the ladies, all the while losing touch with reality as people continue to mysteriously die within her grasp. I identify with the plight of the “anti-hero” and understand the sad obsession, which makes this movie all the more personal to me. The twisted love story between man and machine is almost Frankensteinian in nature...but it’s a different kind of beast altogether.

4 Shitters out of 5

4 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

I often poke fun at this film but I actually really like it. It's nice to see someone else appreciates it as well. I'd also give it 4 spooky old radio shows out of 5.
I haven't read the novel.

budarc said...

The final act was much more satisfying in the novel, which was my only real problem with the film.

cuckoo said...

One of my English teachers in high school assigned the novel to us as reading material. :laugh:

Good stuff though.

4 Run, Fat boy, Runs out of 5 from me too.

Dr Faustus said...

"Run, Fat boy, Runs" :loldata:
I know the scene you mean. Good times.