In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 21 August 2011

The Sunset Limited (2011)

Two men in one room, engaged in debate.
Sam Jackson does Sam Jackson, but Tommy Lee Jones steals the show in an understated performance; his final monologue is perfectly placed to help banish the rather flat and empty build-up. There are some fancy theological arguments, but nothing I haven’t seen or been a part of before.
Based on a Cormac McCarthy play, it never manages to escape its origins, but maybe it never intended to? If the arguments within are new to you then add an extra point on my score.

2 black and white clichés out of 5

3 comments:

budarc said...

I know cuckoo raved about this one, but I more or less agree with your analysis. Felt kind of anti-climactic to me, even though it's based on a play and is intended as such.

I'd probably slap it with a "3," because I'm generous like that. (roll eyes)

cuckoo said...

Doc pretty much just described his feeling about "The Road" only in a negative manner this time.

Odd.

Dr Faustus said...

I wanted to like it more because of its bravery (2 men in a room reminded me of Beckett) but it just didn't give me anything new to think about.
If religious debate was something new to a viewer I think it would have more of an impact.
My favourite bit was the opening credits; all those inanimate objects beautifully framed. I'd have liked more of that. :)