In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 22 August 2011

Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983)

Ray Bradbury is a fine author; his words own the page but they rarely translate well to the screen. (Book Review.)
I first saw SWTWC when I was ten. It made me fear Carnivals and spiders. Looking at it today, it hasn't aged well, although it's still an enjoyable film with an obvious message for young and old. Plus, the diabolic Mr. Dark is forever burned into my memory.
For fans of the author, kids who like to be scared and nostalgic old farts. I am now, or have been, all of those.

3 autumnal nightmares out of 5

2 comments:

cuckoo said...

Did you watch this in honor of Bradbury's birthday?

Such a nice young man.

Dr Faustus said...

I didn't know it was his birthday. Happy coincidence. And HB, Ray. :)
I'm going to go on a Bradbury binge, I have a few more of the films.
He is my favourite living American author.
I have a huge collection of his works in print.