In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 21 August 2011

Planet of the Apes (2001)

I've read Pierre Boulle's original novel, watched all of the original films multiple times, and even the short-lived television series, so it's fair to say that I'm an Apes fan. I'm also a fan of some of Tim Burton's work prior to this, which makes reviewing his unnecessary remake all the more troublesome.
Pros: a great ensemble cast, Mr Elfman on score duties, Rick Baker's flawless make-up and the amazing costumes.
Cons: Everything else.
To date, it's Burton's worst film by far and a well-deserved winner of a Golden Razzie for worst remake. It's a travesty.

1½ spring-powered ape legs out of 5

3 comments:

Impudent Urinal said...

Lol'ed at spring powered ape legs.
2 interspecies erotica threesomes that he passed up out of 5

Dr Faustus said...

I own this. I paid £3 for it. I don't know what that is in $. Too damn much, that's for sure.

Borderline said...

Actually saw this on opening day in a packed theater. There were even ushers dressed up like monkeys. The movie on the other hand was less than memorable.