In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 29 October 2016

CROPSEY [2009]

Cropsey is a feckin' creepy-ass documentary from directors Joshua Zeman & Barbara Brancaccio.
It tells of a boogeyman urban legend turned real life serial child-killer found within an abandoned mental institute on Staten Island.
Revealed mostly through lo-fi camera-work, old news footage and talking heads, the film gets increasingly more frightening and upsetting with each new discovery the film-makers stumble upon.  It goes into all sorts of mass hysteria conjured up by the community making it one of the most difficult and controversial cases to go to court, reminding me of The West Memphis Three.  A thoroughly fascinating watch but nothing I really ever want to think of or see again.

3 strands of drool out of 5

4 comments:

budarc said...

I haven't seen this one, but it's on the fast-track for Halloween 2017.

I have 16 movies left to watch this year and less than 60 hours to do it. :laugh:

I just got done watching another horror documentary called Rats (dir. Morgan Spurlock). Absolutely fucking horrifying.

cuckoo said...

O_o A Spurlock on Rats?
Feck.
I don't know if I need my skin crawling that much.

I've got two more docs to do today and tomorrow. One of them is by the same guy who co-directed this one.

Cropsey has some old news footage I can't shake off.
You'll know what I mean if you see it.

It has a few moments that just haunt you.

budarc said...

I think the same could be said for Rats. There's some disturbing, disgusting imagery that I will never be able to shake off.

I made the mistake of eating while watching it. Now my stomach is churning. XD

(3 botflies out of 5)

cuckoo said...

Botflies too?
Feck no.

I'll give that one some time.