In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 11 April 2013

WILD AT HEART [1990]


Director David Lynch makes his own twisted Wizard Of Oz vision in an adaptation of the first of Barry Gifford's Sailor & Lula pulp novel series, Wild At Heart.
A modern romance struggling to survive in a violent world, this road trip film introduces us to large number of bizarre, seedy characters I'd rather not know.  Nicolas Cage & Laura Dern are great in their roles but their white trash, one-track minds make it difficult to like them.  At times the trademark Lynch weirdness seems overly forced but occasionally works in his favor, making for a number of scenes doused in hilarious surrealism.  

3 snakeskin jackets that represents a symbol of individuality and beliefs in personal freedom out of 5

3 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

I like this one a lot.
4 lipstick failures out of 5

cuckoo said...

I've constantly hoped I'd like it more than I do every time I watch it. Sadly, I feel the same way with each viewing.

Better than the first time I saw it. The first time I absolutely loathed it.

Dr Faustus said...

It is difficult to like them. Having them be surrounded by such selfish and corrupt souls helped offset their failings, and forced me to attempt to sympathise with them.
Compared to everyone else, they’re the two characters that are the most truthful and open, even though they also lie.