In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 1 March 2013

THE HOLY MOUNTAIN [1973]

Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain is a allegorical journey into the disturbingly grotesque & absurd.
Heavily inspired by author René Daumal's Mount Analogue, the film is filled with bizarre imagery where everything serves a purpose and meaning that requires careful observation and thought with multiple viewings, much like the protagonist himself, who doesn't fully understand what's going on until he approaches his view from a different angle: the top of a "mountain".  The film is deep with mysticism & religion, satire, the bizarre and the hilarious.  I don't think I've laughed this much at irrational esotericism since Monty Python & The Holy Grail.  

4 pyramids of blood out of 5

1 comment:

cuckoo said...

I thought we Nutted it too.

I recall someone saying they'll do it shortly after I did Santa Sangre.

I was prepared to link it to something else a few days ago and found it wasn't here.