In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 16 October 2011

THE COLLECTOR [1965]

Ben-Hur director, William Wyler scales down his storytelling for this painfully intimate psychological thriller, The Collector, based on John Fowles' uber-creepy novel.
Being based on one of my favorite books, I was leery of watching this film for so long, thinking it would be next to impossible to capture the intensity and the thoughts of the two main characters. I was wrong. Terrence Stamp and Samantha Egger nail it on the head.
The story holds up so well even to today's thriller standards I'm surprised it hasn't been slapped over the head with a remake yet.
It's so realistic and creepy, the novel's been found on the shelves of several modern day murderers, the inspiration for songs by Massive Attack, Nine Inch Nails & Slipknot and referenced by Neil Gaiman & Stephen King in their work. Yet for some reason, the kids these days don't seem to want to give it a chance or even heard of it.
It's the type of disturbing psychological thriller that leaves such a lasting impression it begs to be returned to again and again.

5 Butterflies Caught out of 5

2 comments:

budarc said...

All these '60s movies you've been reviewing this week sound very intriguing. I've added them all to my list, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get to them all this Halloween. Only 16 more days and too many more to go!

cuckoo said...

I think I can only fit in 2 more '60 films. I had 4 more I wanted to do but I need to move onto my next theme for next week. :(